‘In One Breath’, Ernesto Canovas’ solo exhibition at the Halcyon Gallery was deemed to be of exceptional importance. The artworks encouraged the audience to reflect on their own memories, feelings and impressions.
Park Communications were asked to produce the catalogue for the exhibition. The production needed to capture these emotions in a high quality, ‘stand out’, coffee table style book within an incredibly tight timeframe. We reviewed all aspects of the design, to see how we could apply our specialist knowledge.
Considerable retouching was required to achieve the results Ernesto Canovas required. After the calibrated proofs were approved, there were only 10 days to deliver the book to the gallery in time for the exhibition.
This presented an enormous challenge, due to amount of handwork required to affix the front and back cover, and spine.
Images were machine scatter-proofed on the shortlisted stocks, using a mixture of screens and inks in order to identify which would give the best reproduction.
To help achieve the no-fail delivery date, we applied a bespoke aqueous coating to speed up drying time. The coating also helped to give the pages a pearlescent feel, reinforcing the emotions captured in Ernesto’s work. Adhering to ISO 12647-2 colour standard, we accurately matched the signed-off proofs.
The ‘coffee table book’ aesthetics required a case bound solution, but to ensure the book ‘stood out’, we suggested a revealed spine. The book was section sewn, while the front and back cover, and spine were applied by hand at the binding house. The spine was foiled; the book was flush finished.
Print production and folding were completed in-house, while the Account Director supervised the outworker for the sewing, foiling and case binding.
* Our creative advice, recommendations on paper stocks and high production values have helped Ernesto Canovas to achieve a truly distinctive coffee table style book that stood out
* Accurate reproduction of the original artworks in colour, vibrancy, luminosity, contrast and detail
* Aqueous coating to aid drying time, but also provide a pearlescent finish reinforcing the emotions captured in Ernesto’s work
* Dense blacks to maximise contrast
* Very good colour consistency
* Attention to detail to enable accurate folding, distinctive case binding and a flush finish within the timescales available
This catalogue has been shortlisted as a finalist in the PrintWeek Awards
To discuss your publication please contact Alison Branch on: email@example.com